Monday, November 29

We are riding on Enormous Rabbit's back like a pony around the backyard. It is lots of fun.

"Yee haw!" yells Mr. Happy Puppet Head. I concentrate on holding on real tight. All the bouncing around is making me kind of sick.

"Yee haw!" he yells again. We are having a really good time.

Suddenly, a little cute runs out in front of Enormous Rabbit and she steps right on it. At the speed she's romping around at, there's no way to avoid it.



I poke at it with my boot. It doesn't move at all. "Is it dead?" asks Mr. Happy Puppet Head. I'm not sure yet, so I poke it again. And again.

Enormous Rabbit whimpers quietly behind me.

"We should have a funeral for it," I say. "Did you bring back my shovel?"

"No," Mr. Happy Puppet Head says. "I told you I broke it at the party last week."

"Oh. Did you buy me a new one?"

"Nope."

I locate a somewhat flat rock and start digging a hole with it next to the little cute corpse. It's slow going.

"How deep do you think we should bury it?" asks Mr. Happy Puppet Head.

"I don't know," I answer. But it doesn't look like this is going to work. I gently roll the cute into the shallow grave I've dug, but it isn't even deep enough to cover it.

We decide the best thing to do is to throw it over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

"It isn't your fault, Enormous Rabbit," I say. "Things happen, and you shouldn't let it interefere with your having fun."

"Hey," says Mr. Happy Puppet Head as he takes a swig from his hip flask. "Let's drink until we pass out."

We all agree that this is a fine idea, and end up all curled up crying in the corner of the yard. It begins to rain, but we are far too drunk to notice.

Life is about knowing when to drink far too much, and when not to. And knowing when to leave the corpse for someone more qualified to deal with.

No comments: