Tuesday, December 21




Potato and Loraine are playing in the backyard with their secret friend Roboctopus.

"I'm cold," says Loraine. "Let's go inside."

"Mom and Dad locked the back door again," says Potato.

"Everything's going to be all right," says Roboctopus. "Everything's going to be all right."

"I wish they'd let me get my jacket," says Loraine. "Maybe if I knock on the door they'll let me come inside to get my jacket."

"Okay," says Potato. "But let's hide Roboctopus in the treehouse so Mom and Dad don't see him when they come to let you insdie. You know if they see him they'll just sell him to some scientists or something."

"Yeah," sighs Loraine. "Grownups never understand anything."

"Everything's going to be all right," says Roboctopus. "I love you so much, Mrs. Dickenson."

They hide their Roboctopus secret friend and Loraine goes to get herself a jacket. When she gets back, Roboctopus has stabbed Potato several times.



Loraine has to drag her brother all the way accross town to their doctor, Dr. Swanson, who long ago promised to mend their wounds and keep Roboctopus a secret. All they had to do was promise Loraine's hand in marriage once she reaches the legal age of consent. But he's a nice doctor, and that's almost ten years away, so that isn't really a problem.

"There you go," says Dr. Swanson. "All sewn up and ready to go."

"Thanks Dr. S!" Potato hops off the operating table, good as new.

"I love you so much, Mrs. Dickenson," says Roboctopus. Everyone laughs.

"Now you kids scamper off and play," says Dr. Swanson. "And don't forget you still have to marry me, Loraine."

"I didn't forget," says Loraine.

"Kids..." sighs Dr. Swanson as he cleans up his operating tools.



No comments: